Kaddish for Someone Who Converted to Christianity


Good Morning Rebbeim – My (Jewish) friend just passed away. Unfortunately he had gone off the derech in a big way – married out, converted to Christianity (or so he thought), baptized his children – the whole nine yards. Is it proper to arrange Kaddish from him? And if his parents don’t know the Hebrew name of their son (or their own for that matter), how is Kaddish said? Thank you.

2 years


  1. While I truly appreciate your desire to do something to commemorate your friend’s passing, I am not sure that it is possible for Just Ask! to give you a definitive ruling without having a comprehensive background. Personally, I would suggest that you ask a local Orthodox Rabbi, as he will probably need to know all kinds of details about your friend’s upbringing and past so that he can advise you as to what to do. If you do not have anyone who you feel that you can turn to, please feel free to write again and to let us know where you live, and we will try to find someone wise and sensitive to help you.

    Best wishes from the AskTheRabbi.org Team