Yemenite Shofar Different?

Question

I have heard that the yemenite shofar is called a celebration shofar and the rams horn is called the horn of repentance. Are these two different with different symbolic uses? Thanks

16 years

Answers

1. It is true that the Yemenite shofar for Rosh Hashana is different than other shofars. It has a few twists unlike the “simpler” ram’s horn we are used to in non-Yemenite congregations. This differenece seems to have its roots in geography; in Yemen there were no rams, so instead they used the horn of an ibex or antelope which is also kosher for fulfilling the command.

I must admit that I have never heard of the difference you mention between a celebration shofar and one of repentance, although in the Torah we do find that the shofar in general is used for a variety of purposes besides the command to “remember” the Creation and judgment of Mankind on Rosh Hashana. Other times when the shofar was blown were on Yom Kippur, the Jubilee Year, times of war, the battle of Jericho, announcing times of trouble and, on the the other hand, various festivals, and other times as well.

I hope this has been helpful.

Best wishes,

Best wishes from the AskTheRabbi.org Team