Shir Hashirim

Question

Dear Rabbi, living in Germany, feeling the sense of sexism creeping up, I would like to post an online petition to the decision-makers. But how to explain what to petition! Mind the Word of G’d “I charge you, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, by the roes, and by the hinds of the field, that ye stir not up, nor awake [my] love, till he please”, Sgs 2:7 and 3:5 How to transpose the indwelling commandment of G’d into the modern world of words to make a petition? Yours grate- and respectfully, Christoph Rebner

15 years

Answers

1. Even though the Song of Songs, authored by King Solomon, seems to be a truly beautiful and evocative love poem which deals ostensibly with the relationship between a husband and wife these are merely euphemisms for G-d, the husband, and The Jewish People, the wife. This is true for the verses that you have picked out and applicable to the whole of the Song of Songs as well.

Judaism has always been at the vanguard of recognizing and understanding the differences between the sexes and how those differences are applicable to our day to day lives. There is no concept of sexism in Judaism – what does exist is the realization that if G-d created men and women biologically different He created them spiritually different at well. In fact, Jewish Law defines very clearly a man’s obligations to his wife and any attempt to circumvent those obligations would be met with complete disapproval.

Best wishes from the AskTheRabbi.org Team