Mezuza Blessing

Question

What prayer is said when affixing a Mezooza to your doorpost?

0

Answers

1. There is a blessing to be recited just before attaching the mezuza to the doorpost.

The words are found in almost any siddur – prayer book – in the section for blessings for special occasions.

I’ll tell you the transliteration as I see it, but if you can find an ArtScroll siddur (any Jewish bookstore or www. artscroll.com) that would be even better:

“Baruch atah Adonai, Eloheinu, Melech ha’olam, asher kidishanu bimitzvotav, vitzivanu likboa mezuza.”

“Blessed are you God, our Lord, King of the Universe, who has sanctified us with his commandments, and commanded us to affix the mezuza.”

Even if you are putting up a number of mezuzot at one time, one on each doorpost of the dwelling, only one blessing is said.

Also, the mezuza should be checked carefully by a qualified sofer – scribe – to make sure it is in fact kosher.

Non-kosher mezuzot, for one reason or another, are unfortunately a fairly widespread problem.

Best wishes from the AskTheRabbi.org Team