Conservative Conversion

Question

Dear Rabbi- Is it true that a conservative conversion is not recognized by Israel or by Orthodox Jews? If I converted through a conserrvative rabbi/beit din can I practice in an orthodox shul?

16 years

Answers

1. A conservative conversion is not accepted in the Orthodox world. If a person wishes to be accepted by Judaism the conversion process must be done through an Orthodox Bet Din, following the guidelines laid down by the Halacha dating back almost three thousand five hundred years.

Whilst it is certainly possible to convert under different auspices (in fact, it is extremely uncomplicated to do so), such conversions are not recognized by Orthodox Rabbinical bodies in Israel or anywhere else. In reality that means that a person has gone through a process that he believes has made them Jewish but which, in the eyes of the Orthodox establishment, has not changed their status in any way.

The minimum requirements for a conversion to take effect is that a Bet Din, a Jewish Court comprising three men who are all Mitzvah observant according to the Code of Jewish Law, officiate and the convert pledges to observe the mitzvot and does so.

To take refuge under the wings of the Almighty is a process which has far reaching significance to one’s spiritual soul both in this world and in the here after. It has both spiritual advantages, and spiritual obligations which if not fulfilled can end up in a net loss. More importantly, if the conversion is not done with the proper preparation on the part of the potential convert, it just doesn’t work.

Best wishes from the AskTheRabbi.org Team